Vacancy Announcement: MCCHR Project Officer
Announcement for role as the Project Officer for a “National Consultation on Media Freedom and the Proposed Establishment of a Media Council”
The Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) and the Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights (MCCHR) are looking for a Project Officer to assist them to carry out an activity, namely, the National Consultation on Media Freedom and the Proposed Establishment of a Media Council.
Job Title: Project Officer
Duration: 4 months from December 2018
Gross Salary: The salary for this position is open to negotiation depending on experience
Objective: To implement the activity, and to provide the technical, administrative and logistical support to organise the Consultation
Responsibilities: Under the guidance and supervision of an expert, the Project Officer performs the following tasks and has the following responsibilities:
- Provides technical input for the effective implementation, monitoring and
evaluation of the Consultation, and resolving all challenges that arise in the process.
- Ensures that the Consultation is implemented in a timely manner, and the funds are used in accordance with the budget and reports are delivered as agreed.
- Advises and supports the CIJ and the MCCHR on progress and, where relevant, additional needs in relation to the implementation of the project and follow-up activities.
- Assists and works with the expert on all other related matters or as far as requested
- Good knowledge and understanding of the project with a focus on
measurable impact and results.
- Ability to build good relationships with stakeholders such as media practitioners, Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and Government agencies / representatives.
- Ability to implement, monitor and evaluate the development of the project.
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, contributions and financial reporting.
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills including the ability to convey
concepts and recommendations both orally and in writing, with clear and concise
- Ability to write press statements and reports, and to use software tools to edit and produce content such as videos.
- Ability to maintain documents and keep records.
- Demonstrates outcome-oriented attitude and effective problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimum supervision, and at the
same time is willing to work as a team.
- Displays sensitivity and adaptability to cultural, gender, religious, ethnic, age and
sexual orientation diversity.
- Displays behaviour that demonstrates honesty, transparency, accountability and
- Ability to travel to locations in Malaysia.
- University degree in social/political sciences, law or other related fields.
Good knowledge of human rights and the media sector in Malaysia is an advantage.
- Must have implemented at least 3 similar projects – whether paid or as a volunteer – in the last 2 years.
- Previous experience in developmental assistance or related work for a
donor organisation, governmental institutions or CSOs is
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Fluency in both oral and written Malay and English languages is essential.
Knowledge of a third language is advantageous.
You are kindly requested to submit a cover letter and your curriculum vitae by email to
[email protected] by Monday, 10 December 2018.
Please state the following in the title of your cover letter and email subject line:
APPLICATION AS PROJECT OFFICER FOR A NATIONAL CONSULTATION ON MEDIA FREEDOM AND THE PROPOSED ESTABLISHMENT OF A MEDIA COUNCIL
Only candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements for the role will be called for an interview.